Why Is My Water Heater Leaking?
June 21, 2022
A leaking water heater can be a major problem for any homeowner. It is a potential source of costly water damage and can lead to higher energy bills and decreased efficiency. If you’re wondering why your water heater is leaking, there are a few possible explanations.
How To Determine If Your Water Heater is Leaking
Water heaters are essential to any home, providing hot water from your bathroom to your kitchen. Unfortunately, they can also be a source of leaks, which can lead to costly repairs. There are a few telltale signs that your water heater is leaking, such as:
- Spikes in your water bill
- Visible water stains on your ceilings, walls, or floors
- Mold or mildew growth of your ceilings or walls
- Water pooling inside or outside your home
- Cracks in your foundation
- A musty smell inside your home
If you think your water heater is leaking, it’s essential to act immediately. These signs should always lead to a leak detection and repair visit from our technicians at Ethical Plumbing. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself with no hot water and significant damage to your home – and that’s no fun.
The Most Common Causes of Water Heater Leaks
A leaking water heater can cause a lot of damage to your home if it’s not fixed quickly. Water heaters usually last around 10-15 years, but they can start to have problems sooner if they’re not maintained properly. There are several reasons why your water heater is leaking, including:
- A faulty or damaged pressure relief valve: The pressure relief valve is designed to release water if the pressure gets too high. If the valve is faulty or damaged, it can leak even when the pressure is normal.
- A corroded tank: Over time, the tank of a water heater can become corroded, causing holes and leaks. This is often caused by hard water, which leaves mineral deposits on the tank that can eat away at the metal.
- An overfilled tank: If the water level in the tank is too high, it can cause water to leak out through the overflow valve. This is usually due to a malfunctioning float switch, which allows too much water into the tank.
- The temperature and pressure relief valve may be stuck in the open position: This valve is designed to open when the water in the tank becomes too hot or too much pressure builds up. If it becomes stuck in the “open” position, it can cause the tank to leak.
- A crack in the tank: This is usually caused by age or wear and tear, and it can lead to severe problems if not repaired promptly.
- Hot water expansion: When water is heated, it expands. This expansion can cause the tank to become overpressurized and start to leak.
Are You Dealing with a Leaking Water Heater? Call Ethical Plumbing Today!
If you’re dealing with a leaking water heater, don’t hesitate to call Ethical Plumbing. We’re experts in plumbing, and we’ll be able to diagnose and fix the problem quickly. Water heater replacements and repairs are one of our specialties, so you can rest assured that your water heater will be in good hands with us. In addition to repairs and maintenance, we perform installations, including tankless water heater installations. We also offer plumbing installation and replacement services.
Contact us today or call us at (864) 528-2637 to schedule a consultation or plumbing services in Greenville County, SC! We look forward to helping you with all your plumbing needs.